Wisdom Teeth Removal In St. Louis, MO
Patient’s experiencing wisdom teeth eruption, jaw soreness or gumline infections are candidates for wisdom teeth removal.
- Third molars are commonly referred to as wisdom teeth.
- They are usually the last teeth to develop and are located in the back of your mouth, behind your second molars.
- They most often erupt (emerge through the gums) during a person’s late teens or twenties.
Third Molars & Wisdom Teeth
Very often the jaw area is too small to accommodate a fully developed set of wisdom teeth. This means that they often become impacted (unable to fully erupt).
Types of Impactions:
- Soft Tissue Impaction
- Partial Bony Impaction
- Complete Bony Impaction
Pressure from the erupting wisdom teeth may move other teeth and disrupt the orthodontic or natural alignment of teeth. When they partially erupt, the opening around the teeth allows bacteria to grow and set up the likelihood of infection. The most serious problems occur when tumors or cysts develop around the impacted wisdom teeth, causing harm to the jawbone or adjacent healthy teeth. Even if wisdom teeth have fully erupted, they are often hard to reach and clean properly. This can lead to tooth decay and other problems.
The Impact Of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause complications including:
- Cyst or tumor formation
- Gum disease
- Decay in the wisdom teeth and nearby teeth
- Interference with certain kinds of dental or orthodontic work